MyKidney.org's news is primarily about the Kidney Services units at Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust and King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust in London and their satellite units in the South of England.
Other news is about research and other activities conducted by the unit and from around the world.
News from the Kidney Services at Guy's and King's
World Kidney Day 2014
World Kidney Day, 13th March 2014, is an annual global awareness and education event. The theme this year is:
Kidney Health Matters - Help Reduce the Risk to Your Kidneys
The main job of the kidneys is to remove toxins and excess water from our blood. Kidneys also help control our blood pressure, produce red blood cells and keep our bones healthy.
Here are some ways to help reduce your risk:
- Keep the pressure down - have your blood pressure checked at least annually and stick to a diet low in salt and fat
- Keep fit and active- this helps reduce your blood pressure and reduces the risk of kidney disease
- Don't smoke- smoking slows the blood flow to the kidneys decreasing their ability to function properly
- Eat healthily and keep your weight down- this can help prevent diabetes and heart disease, often associated with kidney disease
- Know your kidney function -if you have a family history of kidney disease, you are diabetic or of Asian or African ancestory it's important to get your kidney function checked by your family doctor