We use cookies on this website. See how you can control your settings.

About us | Sitemap | Links | Accessibility | Copyright | Contact us | News | Video | Kidneypedia | Kidney disease | Kidney treatment | Patient lifestyle | Research |

Having Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) should not stop you leading a full and active life.

However you may need to make some changes because of your treatment. Support from other people may help. These may include health and social care professionals, family, friends and other people with CKD.

Getting the most out of your life

Practical advice


Having kidney disease will not usually stop you from driving.

In the United Kingdom, people with kidney disease may be entitled to support from Government and other organisations to help them manage their lives more effectively. Patients outside the UK should talk to their healthcare team about what options are available to them.

Can I claim benefits?
You might be able to claim one or more benefits. Before stopping work or reducing your hours it is important for you to get financial advice.

Can you help me with housing?
In the UK your healthcare team might be able to help if you rent your home from a housing association or your local council, and you are having problems with your housing because of your health. If you would like to dialyse at home but your home is not suitable, your team may be able to support your application to be rehoused.

Will my illness affect my insurance?
Most insurance companies do not cover pre-existing conditions. Read the small print carefully. If you have problems getting insurance contact an insurance broker for advice.

Can I still drive?
Having kidney disease will not usually stop you from driving.

Can I get a Blue Badge (parking for people with a disability)?
The Blue Badge scheme operates throughout the UK and provides a range of parking benefits for disabled people who travel either as drivers or as passengers. Kidney patients do not have an automatic right to have a Blue Badge. You might be eligible for one because of other medical problems or disabilities. Contact your local council for more information.

Can I get a free travel pass?
Everyone in England who is disabled or over 60 can get a free bus pass for local services. You might also be able to use it on other public transport. Contact your local council for more information.

You might also be able to claim back the cost of travelling to and from hospital. Ask your
healthcare team for more information.